- A Disdain for Materialism
Poor and content is rich, and rich enough.
- A Distrust of Intellect
- The intellectual power, through words and things,
Went sounding on, a dim and perilous way!
- Poetical Insights are possible!
- God guard me from those thoughts men think
In the mind alone;
He that sings a lasting song
Thinks in a marrow-bone;
- That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love.
- Purity of Heart
- A peace above all earthly dignities,
A still and quiet conscience.
- The best of men
That e'er wore earth about him, was a sufferer,
A soft, meek, patient, humble, tranquil spirit,
The first true gentleman that ever breathed.
- Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice,
And could of men distinguish her election,
Sh'hath sealed thee for herself, for thou hast been
As one in suff'ring all that suffers nothing,
A man that Fortune's buffets and rewards
Hast ta'en with equal thanks; and blest are those
Whose blood and judgement are so well co-medled,
That they are not a pipe for Fortune's finger
To sound what stop she please: give me that man
That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him
In my heart's core, ay in my heart of heart,
As I do thee.